Tag: West

Netanyahu’s Party Votes to Annex West Bank, Increase Settlements

The Likud Central Committee voted Sunday to unanimously accept a resolution that calls on the party’s leaders to move to formally annex the West Bank.

The vote by the ruling party is nonbinding and was called for in a letter signed by some 900 members of the central committee.

To really understand Israel and the Middle East – subscribe to Haaretz

The wording of the resolution states: “On the 50th anniversary of the liberation of the regions of Judea and Samaria [the West Bank], including Jerusalem our eternal capital, the Likud Central Committee calls on the Likud’s elected officials to act to allow free construction and to apply the laws of Israel and its sovereignty to all liberated areas of Jewish settlement in Judea and Samaria.”

Most of the Likud ministers in the government support the resolution. haaretz.com

Abbas wants NATO to replace IDF in West Bank

Palestinian leaders want NATO to substitute IDF forces in the West Bank as part of any sustainable peace deal and a two-state solution with Israel. France is mounting up international support to hold a conference after US-led negotiations collapsed.

“Now we talk about the French initiative… Its purpose must be to implement the visions of both states, based on the border agreement of 1967 and the capital of the Palestinian state being eastern Jerusalem, so that both countries can live side by side, in safety, stability and peace – if Israel wishes to seek peace,” Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said in a speech at a meeting of foreign ministers at the Arab League.

Throughout the previous peace negotiations and to this day the Palestinian Authority insists that the West Bank must be a part of their sovereign nation, and that the presence of Israeli military control is a violation of their right to rule. While the United Nations calls the West Bank and Gaza Strip Israeli-occupied territories, Israel considers them disputed.

The idea of introducing NATO forces in the Middle East country has been voiced by Abbas before during the last peace negotiations. The original idea was for the IDF to remain in the Palestinian state for a transitional period of five years after which the Israeli forces could be replaced by NATO forces along with Palestinian Arab police and security units.

Tel Aviv argues that it keeps its IDF forces in West Bank to protect themselves from the perceived threat of “Palestinian terrorism.” To solidify their claims, in addition to military presence, Israel has been building settlements in the West Bank and East Jerusalem, and on a number of occasions refusing to negotiate the status of Jerusalem. rt.com

Israeli settlers attack British volunteer in West Bank

A 66-year-old British man volunteering in the West Bank received emergency treatment after being attacked by a gang of gun-wielding Israeli settlers hurling rocks at him.

David Amos, a retired publishing company worker, was struck in the head by a rock as he tried to protect Palestinian farmers during the olive harvest.

He was evacuated from the area by ambulance and taken to a hospital in Nablus, where he received five stitches. independent.co.uk


Netanyahu orders destruction of over 400 EU-funded homes

The group ‘Rabbis for Human Rights’ has called on Netanyahu to halt the demolitions, saying the policy runs counter to international law and Jewish tradition. The group wrote a letter of protest to Netanyahu, after he ordered that more than 400 Palestinian homes in the occupied West Bank be destroyed. The newly-built houses were funded by the European Union. Israel says the pre-fabricated bungalows have been built illegally and therefore should be razed. Israel’s house demolitions have already sparked an international outcry. Last month, the UN warned that the policy is making vulnerable Palestinian families homeless.


Sisi openly blames West for Libya’s tragic predicament

In an interview to Le Figaro, President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi blamed the Western powers for the state Libya is in and the ensuing dangers. “France, Britain and America had the responsibility to manage the transition of Libya [from Qaddafi’s regime]”, Sisi is quoted as saying. “But these Western countries never did it. By losing interest in the territory, where they themselves created a vacuum, the Western powers contributed to the creation of a chaotic situation there. Libya has 1,500 kilometers of sea coast. How could it be that the European countries with Mediterranean coasts tolerated all kinds of traffic from this territory? Human traffic, arms traffic drug traffic? How could they allow the creation of safe havens for terrorists?”

The Egyptian president knows what he is talking about – Egypt is not just Libya’s neighbor, but the foreign country that suffered most from the Western-supported revolution in Libya. Al-Sisi knows that the revolution in Libya was pretty much a result of a Western intervention in that country (NATO’s bombing raids saved the anti-Qaddafi jihadists from defeat by Qaddafi’s motorized columns in spring 2011). This intervention, in its turn, was facilitated by the toppling (again, with political and propagandistic support from the US and the EU) of the longtime Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak. “Until Mubarak’s fall in 2011, Egypt was the main player in the Arab League,” explains Mikhail Delyagin, a specialist in globalization studies and the editor-in-chief of the Moscow-based magazine Svobodnaya Mysl. “After Mubarak was ousted, Saudi Arabia and Qatar started to call the shots in the League, presenting their opinions as the ‘consolidated voice’ of the Arab world. Egypt was sidelined, and for a time, Obama and the EU’s leaders claimed to have all of the Arab world behind them.”

Later the same scenario repeated itself in Syria – the only difference being President Assad’s ability to stay in power. What began as ‘peaceful’ demonstrations against his rule, just as in Libya, quickly turned violent with support from Saudi Arabia and Qatar. They were followed by a civil war and a rise in jihadist activity.

So, in his talks with Hollande and subsequent interviews to the French media al-Sisi revealed a secret which many people (in France and elsewhere) already knew: the rise of jihadist activities in Libya destabilized territories far beyond its borders. The jihadists from Libya fought against President Assad in Syria, they were behind numerous terrorist attacks in Egypt’s Sinai and they contributed to terrorist activities in Sahel (especially in Mali, recently invaded by the Washington-supported French ‘peacekeepers’).

So much for “heroes of freedom struggle, Libya’s analogues of the [Afghan war hero] Massoud,” as the French ‘philosopher’ Bernard-Henri Levy called the Libyan insurgents against Qaddafi’s rule. Mr. Levy boasted of ‘talking’ Sarkozy into attacking Libya, since it was after his phone call that Sarkozy received ‘the new Massouds’ in his office and ordered bombing raids a few days later. In two years, Bernard-Henri Levy was raising the Maidan crowds in Kiev against Yanukovich – again with support from the Western government and with a similarly tragic result. sputniknews.com


Iran: Israeli stealth drone downed at nuclear facility

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards claimed on Sunday that an Israeli stealth drone had been brought down above the Natanz uranium enrichment site in the centre of the country.

The semi-official Fars news agency reported that Iran’s elite forces had intercepted and brought down an unmanned aircraft belonging to “the Zionist regime”. The news was announced in a statement published by the guards, but it was not clear when the incident, if true, happened.

“This mischievous act once again reveals the adventurist nature of the Zionist regime [of Israel] and added another black page to this fake and warmongering regime’s file which is full of crimes,” said the Revolutionary Guards’ statement.

The state news agency ISNA reported that the aircraft was “of the stealth, radar-evasive type and it intended to penetrate the off-limits nuclear area in Natanz … but was targeted by a ground-to-air missile before it managed to enter the area.”

A spokesman for the Revolutionary Guards later told Iranian television that parts of the aircraft had been retrieved. Iran claimed to have reverse engineered a drone after capturing an American RQ-170 Sentinel in 2011. theguardian.com

IRGC vows to speed up arming West Bank in response to Israel’s spying operation

Israel: ‘revenge killing’ claims ignite powderkeg

The abduction and murder of a Palestinian teenager yesterday sparked a surge in fighting between Israeli police and Palestinians as tensions in the region rose.

The death of the Palestinian boy, whose body was found in a forest outside Jerusalem, was blamed by Palestinians on Israeli settlers who they claimed were taking revenge for the murders of three Israeli teenagers whose funerals took place on Tuesday.

The latest killing stoked tensions that were already running high and led to a number of clashes between police and Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.

Just hours after Israel buried the three teenagers, relatives of Mohammed Abu Khdeir said the 17-year-old was forced into a car in a neighbourhood of east Jerusalem before it sped off. A burned body was found shortly afterward in a forest.

Late yesterday, the Khdeir family said they had identified the body as Mohammed’s. The teenager’s cousin, Saed Abu Khdeir, said: “It’s a clear crime by [Israeli] settlers in revenge for the killing of the three.”

He said the family witnessed security camera footage of the suspected kidnapping, which purported to show a car approaching Mohammed and taking him away.

In the West Bank, Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas accused extremist Jewish settlers of “killing and burning a little boy” and demanded that Israel “hold the killers accountable”.

As news of the youth’s disappearance spread, hundreds of Palestinians in east Jerusalem torched train stations and hurled stones at Israeli police, who responded with tear gas and stun grenades. scotsman.com



Bodies of three missing Israeli teenagers found in West Bank

The bodies of three missing Israeli teenagers who disappeared almost three weeks ago have been found buried in a shallow grave under rocks in a valley close to the southern West Bank city of Hebron.

Following the discovery of the bodies the Israeli prime minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, blamed Hamas for the murders, warning the militant group will pay a heavy price for the deaths. “Hamas is responsible, and Hamas will pay … [They] were kidnapped and murdered in cold blood by wild beasts,” Netanyahu said in a statement.

Israeli soldiers and civilian volunteers found two bodies at 5pm on Monday in a shallow grave covered with boulders, later uncovering a third body. Although there was no immediate confirmation of their identity, both the location, close to where they went missing, and the number of bodies pointed inescapably to it being the remains of the three teenagers.

“The bodies are currently going through forensic identification. The families of the abducted teens have been notified,” a senior spokesman for the army said on Monday evening. theguardian.com



Iran Condemns Zionist Assault on Fasting Palestinians in Gaza, West Bank

Yatseniuk: Conflict has now entered a “military phase.”

Ukrainian soldiers serving in Crimea have been authorized to use their weapons to defend themselves, according to the acting Ukrainian president’s press service.

The order comes only hours after a Ukrainian serviceman was shot and killed on Tuesday at a Ukrainian base that came under attack in Crimea’s main town of Simferopol and acting Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseny Yatseniuk said the Crimean conflict has now entered a “military phase.”

Until now, forces deployed on the Black Sea peninsula, taken over three weeks ago by Russian forces, had been told to avoid using arms against attack.

A defence ministry order issued after the incident said: “In connection with the death of a Ukrainian serviceman … Ukrainian troops in Crimea have been allowed to use weapons to defend and protect the lives of Ukrainian servicemen.”

Unknown assailants

Vladislav Seleznyov, speaking to Reuters by telephone from Crimea about the earlier assault, said one serviceman at the base had died of his wounds. A second man, a captain, was injured.

Seleznyov said it was unclear who had staged the assault, but described the attackers, as “unknown forces, fully equipped and their faces covered”.

Yatseniuk also accused Russia of committing a “war crime” by firing on Ukrainian servicemen. cbc.ca



Danger of NATO False Flag Ops Grows as Crimeans Vote in Referendum

Putin: As Crimea as Kosovo, West re-writing its own rule book

Crimea’s secession from Ukraine was just like Kosovo’s secession from Serbia, and any arguments otherwise are just attempts to bend the West-advocated rules that were applied to the Kosovo case, Russian President Vladimir Putin said. rt.com

LIVE Crimeans celebrate unification with Russia in Simferopol

Live Chat

Join the Live Chat