Tag: Houthi

Houthis take over Yemeni capital Sanaa

The capital of Yemen, Sanaa is now reportedly under control of Houthi fighters, according to media citing the Interior Ministry. The Iran-backed group has allegedly retaken the city amid reports of the death of former President Ali Abdullah Saleh.

Saleh, who formally renounced his alliance with the Houthis on Sunday, was killed while trying to flee the capital, according to the Houthi-controlled ministry. It said their former ally “was creating chaos by working with militias of aggression” in the country, and “helping extremist militants.”

Having accused the former leader of betrayal and inciting even more violence in Yemen, the ministry said the Houthi forces have “ended the crisis” and now control “all positions” of opposing militias. There have been reports that the eldest son of the ex-president Ahmad Saleh, regarded as his likely successor, has been arrested.

Heavy fighting has been ongoing in Sanaa in recent days, with the Saudi-led coalition launching strikes on Houthi positions and having bombed Sanaa’s airport. The strikes come amid reports of extreme bloodshed in Yemen’s capital after ex-president Saleh pulled out of an alliance with the Houthi rebels.

Rubble and debris can be seen in a Ruptly video documenting the aftermath of the Saudi-led coalition’s attack on Sanaa International Airport on Sunday evening. The footage shows pulverized concrete, burnt-out cars and the airport’s abandoned VIP lounge. rt.com



UN: Yemen’s warring factions agree to humanitarian truce

Yemen’s warring factions confirmed their agreement on Thursday to a temporary humanitarian ceasefire set to begin on Friday night, United Nations envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed said.

The pause in the fighting will last about a week until the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan and aims to allow the delivery of assistance to some of the 21 million Yemenis in need.

The U.N. has worked intensively to broker a ceasefire to halt more than three months of many-sided fighting inside the country and Saudi-led air strikes against the Houthis and their army allies that have killed more than 3,000 people.

“For the humanitarian pause, we are going to start tomorrow evening and we have assurances from all the parties, and we are quite optimistic it will be respected,” Ould Cheikh Ahmed told Reuters by phone from Ethiopia, after finishing discussions in the Houthi-held Yemeni capital Sanaa.

“We have agreed to go ahead, based on two major points. The first is the commitment of all parties not to violate this ceasefire, this humanitarian pause. The second is that humanitarian assistance can reach all parts of Yemen,” he added. reuters.com

Misdirected airstrikes target Yemen troops

Saudi air strikes kill 15 in Yemen, Houthi-run media reports

Saudi-led airstrikes killed 15 people and wounded dozens across Yemen late on Saturday, the Houthi-run Saba news agency reported.

The dead included five women and two children in attacks on Saada and Marib provinces, the agency said.

A Saudi-led Arab coalition has been bombarding Houthi rebels and allied army units since 26 March in a campaign to restore President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi to power.

Hadi, Saudi Arabia’s ally, was pushed aside last year when Houthis advancing from their northern strongholds overran the government in the capital, Sana’a, and went on to capture lands to the south.

The Houthis are allied to former president Ali Abdullah Saleh, who still has the loyalty of much of the army.

UN-sponsored talks in Geneva between Yemen’s warring parties ended on Friday without agreement on a ceasefire, an outcome relief agencies had sought in order to support efforts to stave off what many see as a humanitarian disaster. theguardian.com

Iranian humanitarian cargo ship on way to war-torn Yemen

Iran says it’s ready to send three planes carrying humanitarian aid to Yemen within the next 24 hours. Deputy Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian says the aid would be food and medical supplies. Meanwhile, an Iranian cargo ship, carrying humanitarian aid, has left the country’s port city of Bandar Abbas for Yemen. It’s packed with 25-hundred tons of much-needed aid, including food and medical supplies from Iran’s Red Crescent Society. Saudi Arabia has already blocked earlier Iranian aid deliveries to Yemen in violation of international law. Senior Iranian commander Admiral Hossein Azad says the country’s navy will protect the cargo ship. He said the 34th naval group is present in the Gulf of Aden and Bab al-Mandab strait to protect the humanitarian aid ship.

Iran warships to accompany humanitarian cargo ship to Yemen

Iran warns Saudi, U.S. against hindering Yemen aid ship

Iranian Warship’s Missile System Locks on Invading Target in Gulf of Aden


Saudi Arabia to deploy ground troops in Yemen

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman Abdulaziz on Tuesday ordered the deployment of an elite ground unit in the country’s ongoing campaign against Yemen’s Shia Houthi militant group, Saudi’s official news agency has reported.

King Salman has issued a royal decree to deploy National Guard Forces in its ongoing military operation against Yemen’s Houthis – a campaign which, until Tuesday’s announcement, had been reportedly confined to air and naval bombardments.

Riyadh refrained, however, from providing additional details on the planned deployment.

Since March 25, Houthi positions across Yemen have been the target of frequent attacks by warplanes from Saudi Arabia and its Gulf-Arab allies.

Fractious Yemen has remained in turmoil since last September, when the Houthis overran capital Sanaa, from which they have sought to extend their influence to other parts of the country. middleeastmonitor.com


Iran optimistic about halt on Saudi strikes on Yemen

Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir Abdollahian voiced optimism that the Saudi-led military strikes against Yemen would stop in coming hours.

“Following the efforts made, we are optimistic that the military strikes against Yemen come to a halt in coming hours,” Amir Abdollahian said on Tuesday.

“We are optimistic that we will witness different Yemeni groups gather around the negotiating table in the next few hours and endeavor to strengthen the political process in the country,” he added.

His remarks came after Iran sent a 4-step Yemen peace initiative to the UN chief last week.

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif wrote a letter to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on Friday, and demanded adoption of the necessary moves by the world body to put an immediate end to the bloodshed, describing the conditions on the ground in Yemen as “alarming”.

“The Islamic Republic of Iran believes that all efforts, particularly those by the United Nations, should be guided, in conformity with the Charter of the United Nations and fundamental principles of international humanitarian law, by the following objectives: 1. Ceasefire and an immediate end to all foreign military attacks; 2. Unimpeded urgent humanitarian and medical assistance to the people of Yemen; 3. Resumption of Yemeni-lead and Yemeni-owned national dialogue, with the participation of the representatives of all political parties and social groups; 4. Establishment of an inclusive national unity government,” Zarif said in his letter.

Saudi Arabia has been striking Yemen for 27 days now to restore power to fugitive president Mansour Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh. The Saudi-led aggression has so far killed over 2,795 Yemenis, including hundreds of women and children. The attacks have also left thousands of people injured. farsnews.com

U.S. ship may intercept Iranian aid to Yemen
(2014 Russians Disable U.S. Guided Missile Destroyer)

Two air strikes in Yemen kill at least 40 people, mostly civilians

Yemen conflict: Saudi Arabia ends air campaign

Yemen: Saudi ask Pakistan to fight; Iran-Turkey seek ceasefire

Pakistan’s defense minister told Parliament on Monday that Saudi Arabia had asked Pakistan for aircraft, warships and soldiers to join its offensive against the Houthis in Yemen, possibly signaling Saudi plans to expand its war there.

The Saudi government, backed by other Persian Gulf countries and the United States, started its campaign against the Houthis in late March, relying primarily on air power. Yet nearly two weeks of airstrikes have failed to stop the Houthi advance, including into Aden, Yemen’s second-largest city.

The Saudis and their allies have repeatedly raised the possibility of a ground invasion, which analysts say would most likely rely heavily on foreign troops, including those from close Saudi allies like Pakistan or Egypt. nytimes.com

Turkey and Iran have agreed on the need for a political solution to end the conflict in Yemen. Turkish President Erdogan held a meeting with his Iranian counterpart Rouhani in Tehran amid deteriorating bilateral ties.

In a joint press conference with visiting Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Tuesday, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said the war in Yemen was high on the agenda during his talks with the Turkish leader.

“We talked about Iraq, Syria, Palestine … We had a long discussion about Yemen. We both think that war and bloodshed must stop in this area immediately, and a complete ceasefire must be established,” Rouhani said, adding that the Saudi-led airstrikes in Yemen must halt.

The Iranian president said he hoped that Turkey and Iran could end the Yemen war “with the help of other countries in the region” and bring “peace, stability” to the Middle Eastern country. dw.de

Basij Cmdr: Saudi Arabia fighting U.S. proxy war in Yemen

Commander of Iran’s Basij (volunteer) Force Brigadier General Mohammad Reza Naqdi strongly condemned the Saudi-led aggression against Yemen, and said that Saudi Arabia is fighting a proxy war designed and run by the US.

“It would be wrong think that Saudi Arabia is administering the war in Yemen, while the US is in charge,” Brigadier General Naqdi said on Thursday.

Addressing Riyadh leaders, the commander of Iran’s Basij Force said, “You cannot stand against the will of a nation with an army; the Saudi army is apparently in battlefield, but it is the US that plays the role”.

In relevant remarks, Brigadier General Naqdi also said on Tuesday that the Al Saud dynasty will have a fate similar to that of former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein.

“Imposing war on Yemen will, God willingly, have no result other than Saddam’s fate for the aggressors and the US that is the direct sponsor of this crime will have to leave the region forever after losing its puppet, the Al Saud regime,” Brigadier General Naqdi said in a statement on the occasion of the anniversary of the Islamic Republic Day in Tehran on Tuesday.

On Monday, Senior Advisor to the Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Brigadier General Seyed Mohammad Baqerzadeh also lashed out at Saudi Arabia for attacking Yemen, warning that Riyadh is playing with fire.

“This aggression is playing with fire and the Al Saud regime will never be able to bring Yemen under its control,” Brigadier General Baqerzadeh said.

He said what is presently going on in Yemen will eventually result in the hatred of the international community for the US and its regional mercenaries and proxies.

Brigadier General Baqerzadeh reiterated that the Saudi army is unable to fight long-term wars due to its lack of the needed capabilities, and said, “This war will have dire repercussions for the US and Saudi interests in future just like the wars in Syria and Iraq.”

Saudi Arabia has been striking Yemen for eight days now to restore power to fugitive president Mansur Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh. The Saudi airstrikes have killed at least, 242, mostly women and children, and injured hundreds more.

Hadi stepped down in January and refused to reconsider the decision despite calls by Ansarullah revolutionaries of the Houthi movement.

Despite Riyadh’s claims that it is bombing the positions of the Ansarullah fighters, Saudi warplanes are flattening residential areas and civilian infrastructures. farsnews.com

Red Cross calls for unimpeded delivery of aid to Yemen

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) on Tuesday called for the urgent removal of obstacles to the delivery to Yemen of vital medical supplies needed to treat casualties from a week of deadly clashes and air strikes.

A shipment of ICRC medical supplies sufficient to treat from 700 to 1,000 people was due to arrive by plane on Tuesday for distribution to hospitals across the country that are running low on the means to treat the war wounded.

So far, efforts to negotiate the safe arrival of the plane have not been successful.

“There are casualties across the country. There have been air strikes in the north, west and south, and clashes between opposing Yemeni armed groups in the center and south, that are putting immense strain on already weak medical services,” said Cedric Schweizer, who heads an ICRC team of 300 people in Yemen. icrc.org

Air strike on Yemeni refugee camp by Saudi-led coalition kills at least 40

Iran: Foreign intervention in Yemen will make things worse

Yemen has turned into another battlefield, raging across the region. ISIS is prospering on the ruins of state. The flames of war grow brighter with Saudi Arabia and its allies joining the combat on the side of the Yemen’s government forces. But is that a solution? Hasn’t the method of intervention discredited itself – just inspiring more violence? We look at the issue with Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian on Sophie&Co.

Report: Hamas backs ‘legitimacy’ of President Hadi in Yemen

Report: Mahmoud Abbas calls for Arab military intervention against Hamas in Gaza

‘Iran nuclear deal is likely on Monday, crucial meeting to be held’

Yemen Houthi Rebels Advance Despite Saudi-Led Air Strikes

Live Chat

Join the Live Chat