Tag: fire

Ukraine: Munitions depot fire destroys $800 mln of weapons

The fire at munitions depots in the village of Kalinovka in Ukraine’s central Vinnitsa region has destroyed weapons worth $800 million, said Ivan Vinnik, a secretary of the Ukrainian parliament’s committee on national security and defense.

“Today, munitions worth approximately $800 million have been destroyed by fire in Kalinovka. Therefore, suppose we speak that nothing has happened and say that tank ammunition had not been needed there since they would have been recycled… And in this case, we should have sold them and received $800 million in hryvnia equivalent in the budget,” he said.

“It would have been worthless to declare a victory saying we had efficiently evacuated the population, which Ukraine’s Armed Forces boast a lot,” Vinnik was quoted as saying by the UNN agency.

The defense ministry said that 70% of the munitions had been unaffected by the fire.

“At least 30% have been destroyed… Taking into regard, that the depot stored 60,000 tonnes, we derive the cost of ($800 mln),” he said.

On Tuesday, at about 22.00 local time, Ukraine’s State Emergencies Service was alerted after munitions had begun exploding at the depots in the Vinnitsa region. The Kalinovka munitions depot is reported to store over 83,000 tonnes. The military say the fire destroyed about 30% of the depots.

More than 30,000 people have been evacuated from the area, and the evacuations are still underway. The latest reports say that two people sustained wounds and remain in hospitals. The projectiles inflicted damage on four households. Roads are cordoned off and air space is closed to all aircraft in an area of 50 kilometers. tass.com

London attack: Arrested man named as Yahyah Farroukh

The second man arrested by police over the Parsons Green terrorism attack has been named as Yahyah Farroukh.

Pictures showed the 21-year-old man being stopped by officers outside a fried chicken shop in the Hounslow area of west London on Saturday night. Metropolitan police officers were still searching the area on Monday morning.

Officers were also searching an address understood to be Farroukh’s home in nearby Stanwell, in Surrey, only metres from the outer boundaries of Heathrow airport. Farroukh was the second person to be arrested over Friday’s attack; an as-yet unnamed 18-year-old man was stopped by officers near the port of Dover on Friday evening.

According to a Facebook profile thought to belong to Farroukh, he is originally from Damascus, in Syria, and studied English for speakers of other languages at West Thames college, near the Stanwell property. His profile also claims that he worked for an events company in London.

Images of Farroukh on Facebook show him with family members and posing in front of a tourist site in central London. theguardian.com

Parsons Green attack: Yahyah Farroukh released without charge

Iraqi asylum seeker Ahmed Hassan charged with Parsons Green Tube bombing

The Parsons Green terror suspect is accused of buying some of the “key ingredients” for a homemade bucket bomb from Amazon as it emerged he blamed Tony Blair for the devastation in Iraq.

Ahmed Hassan,18, who was made an orphan when his parents were killed in Iraq, is alleged to have created the bomb in his foster parent’s kitchen and filled it with explosives, knives and shrapnel.

He is accused of placing the device on the District Line Tube during rush hour last Friday and leaving it to detonate at Parsons Green with the intention of murdering dozens of passengers.

Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard he is accused of getting off the train one step before at Putney Bridge leaving the bomb to blow up.

Despite the bomb not detonating fully, 30 people were injured by the “fireball” it created.

Mr Hassan, who lived in Sunbury with a couple who have fostered dozens of children over the years, was detained at the Port of Dover last weekend.

“He said he was meeting Yahyah Farrouk, a friend from Syria. He was going to stay with him in Holland,” Mr Ingham added. telegraph.co.uk

The Unaccompanied Muslim Minor Refugee Terror Attack in London

Alf Dubs, Baron Dubs: Born in Prague, then in Czechoslovakia, Dubs was one of 669 Czech-resident, mainly Jewish, children saved by English stockbroker Nicholas Winton.

Dubs amendment:

In 2016, Lord Dubs sponsored an amendment to the Immigration Act 2016 to offer unaccompanied refugee children safe passage to Britain amidst the European migrant crisis. Originally rejected by the House of Commons, the amendment was accepted by the government following a second vote in favour by the Lords.

In February 2017, the Home Office abandoned the scheme after accepting 350 out of the planned 3,000 child refugees.

Labour big supporter of Dubs amendment:
“Labour demands a review of Government ending of Dubs Amendment scheme – Abbott”

‘These don’t look like children to me’: concerns raised over ages of child refugees arriving in Britain


Donetsk shelled as Kiev ‘orders massive fire’ on E. Ukraine

Violence escalated in eastern Ukraine as Kiev’s troops launched a massive assault on militia-held areas Sunday morning. The army was ordered to start massive shelling of all rebel positions, a presidential aide said.

The order to launch the offensive was issued early approximately at 6:00 am, according to Yury Biryukov, an aide to President Petro Poroshenko.

“Today we will show HOW good we are at jabbing in the teeth,” he wrote on his Facebook page, a mode of conveying information favored by many Ukrainian officials.

In a later post he said: “They are now striking a dot. Uuu…” in a reference to Tochka-U (‘tochka’ means ‘dot’ in Russian), a tactical ballistic missile, one of the most powerful weapons Ukraine so far deployed against rebel forces.

“That wasn’t a dot but ellipsis. Strong booms,” he added. rt.com






Sen. Murphy: Send military assistance to Ukraine

NATO rifles found in the UAF armories in the New Terminal

UK minister says F-35 jets may miss RIAT air show this week

British Defence Secretary Philip Hammond said Lockheed Martin Corp’s (LMT.N) F-35 fighter jet may miss the Royal International Air Tattoo air show this week given a fleet-wide grounding ordered after an engine failure last month.

But Hammond told a conference in London on Wednesday that he was “still optimistic” that the new warplane would be cleared to fly in time to make a delayed international debut at the world’s biggest air show in Farnborough, outside London, next week.

Military and industry officials are pressing hard to ensure that the jets are able to make their international debut at the Farnborough show. Missing both shows would be a huge embarrassment and could undermine U.S. efforts to drum up additional sales of the new fighter.

U.S. Air Force and Pentagon officials at the conference had no immediate update on the safety investigation into the engine failure that occurred on June 23 as a pilot was preparing to take off from Eglin Air Force Base in Florida.

The U.S. Marine Corps still plans to send some of its F-35B jets – which can take off from shorter runways and land vertically – to Britain this month, spokesman Captain Richard Ulsh said.

Engine maker Pratt & Whitney, a unit of United Technologies Corp (UTX.N), is examining the engine at its West Palm Beach facility in Florida, but has not released any details about the likely cause of the engine failure.

The engine incident has already forced the F-35 to skip a planned “fly by” at the naming ceremony for Britain’s new aircraft carrier last week, and U.S. industry and military officials are not certain whether the grounding will be lifted in time for the planes to travel to the British air shows.

Hammond said Britain, which helped fund development of the new warplane, had a “huge commitment” to the F-35 programme. He noted that the plane was still in the developmental stage, when technical issues are meant to be worked out. reuters.com

Americans have spent enough money on a broken plane to buy every homeless person a mansion

Campaign to sack Tony Blair as Middle East Peace Envoy

Russell Brand, has joined Stephen Fry, Noam Chomsky, George Monbiot and many more, calling for Blair to be sacked as Middle East Peace Envoy. Add your name now.

blair_sack_russell_brand_460

Seven reasons to sack Blair for the seven years
he has been Middle East peace envoy
• 1 War = Peace
Tony Blair and George W Bush’s illegal invasion of Iraq destroyed an entire Middle Eastern society.
• 2 Pro-Israeli bias
Both as Prime Minister and Envoy, Blair has shown a consistent and blatant bias towards Israel.
• 3 Seven years bad luck for Palestine
The last seven years have shown Blair either incapable or unwilling to achieve anything meaningful for the Palestinian people. He has visited Gaza just once in those seven years
• 4 Conflict of interest?
The way Blair works, it is often unclear where his envoy role ends and his business interests begin.
• 5 Peace Envoy = Warmonger
Since his appointment Blair has repeatedly called for yet more Middle Eastern wars – in Iran, Syria and now Iraq again.
• 6 Living like a VIP – on our VAT
As Envoy Blair has luxuriated in Jerusalem’s poshest hotel at the taxpayer’s expense, while families in the Occupied Territories struggle to feed their children.
• 7 Advising autocrats
Alongside his envoy role, Blair has been hiring himself out to tyrants with histories of human rights abuses.

Sack Blair bus to tour London in protest

Friday 27 June, will mark the seven-year anniversary of Tony Blair’s appointment as the Special Envoy to the Middle East for the Quartet, which consists of the US, Russia, the UN and the EU.

The #SackBlair campaign, supported by public figures such as Russell Brand, Stephen Fry and Noam Chomsky, will be hosting a one-off open-top bus tour of London landmarks relevant to Blair’s Envoy role. A public petition on Change.org calls for his immediate removal from the position.

The tour’s centrepiece will be a protest event at lunchtime in Grosvenor Square, Mayfair. The square is home to both the US embassy – the US are the Quartet member understood to have selected Blair – and Tony Blair’s London office.

The bus, dubbed the SackBlairmobile, will circle the square calling for the US government to drop Blair as the Envoy as a result of his legacy of destruction in the Middle East and his failure in the position.

Beginning at Parliament at 10am, the bus will drive straight to the QEII conference centre, where the Iraq Inquiry was held, to emphasise the absurdity of a man responsible for the current destruction in Iraq serving as a Peace Envoy in the same region.

The tour will then move on to the London premises of two more Quartet members, including the consulate of Russia in Kensington and the European Commission in Smith’s Square.

Also on the list is the Knightsbridge office another of Blair’s employers, JPMorgan Chase. Critics of his work as Envoy accuse the former Prime Minister of a conflict of interest between his roles, saying he has used his position as Envoy to strike deals in the West Bank from which JPMorgan stood to gain.

Following the event in Grosvenor Square, the tour will then be repeated in the afternoon.

The tour is the culmination of a week of actions organised by the campaign. It was initiated by the team of George Galloway MP’s crowd-funded filmThe Killing$ of Tony Blair.

The petition calling for Blair’s sacking on Change.org, already has almost 15,000 signatures. A scathing open letter published earlier this week, signed by former UK ambassadors to the Middle East and major public figures, has also called for Blair to be sacked.

#SackBlair tour – Itinerary:

  1. 10am: leave from Parliament, Old Palace Yard
  2. The Iraq Inquiry: QEII Centre, Broad Sanctuary, Westminster, SW1P 3EE
  3. European Commission, 32 Smith Square, SW1P 3EU
  4. JPMorgan Private Bank, 1 Knightsbridge, SW1X 7LX
  5. Israeli embassy, 2 Palace Green, W8 4QB
  6. Russian embassy, 6-7 Kensington Palace Gardens, W8 4QP
  7. 12.30pm: Grosvenor Square, W1A: US embassy & Office of Tony Blair

The #SackBlair tour will then repeat the above route, starting at Parliament at 2pm and ending at 4.30pm

Sign the #SackBlair petition now…

Stephen Fry’s tweet: Sign the Sack Tony Blair petition

Stephen Fry sack blair

Tony Blair should be sacked as Middle East envoy, say former ambassadors


Ukraine: The Odessa Massacre – What really happened?

Contrary to what the mainstream media has tried to convince you, it’s not at all a mystery how the fire started in Odessa, Ukraine and it’s not at all a mystery who started it. We owe it to the victims to expose what really happened. scgnews.com/the-odessa-massacre-what-really-happened

31 people die after radicals set Trade Unions House on fire

At least 31 anti-government activists died in fire at Odessa’s Trade Unions House after suffocating with smoke or jumping out of windows of the burning building, Ukrainian Interior Ministry reported. The building was set ablaze by the pro-Kiev radicals.

Some 40 people, including 10 police officers, were also injured in the incident, the official statement said.

A total of forty-three people have died in Odessa street clashes and 174 others have sustained injuries. Twenty-five of those remain in critical condition, according to Odessa City Council.

According to the ministry, the Friday standoff on Odessa included “anti-Maidan” activists on one side and “football fans” from Odessa and Kharkov, as well as “euro-Maidan” activists, on the other. A criminal case on the charges of mass unrest has been opened. rt.com

Koreas fire artillery shells into each others’ waters

An official with South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said no shells from either side were fired at any land or military installations. Residents on a front-line South Korean island said they were evacuated to shelters during the exchange.

North and South Korea fired hundreds of artillery shells into each other’s waters Monday in a flare-up of animosity that forced residents of five front-line South Korean islands to evacuate to shelters for several hours, South Korean officials said.

The exchange of fire into the Yellow Sea followed Pyongyang’s sudden announcement that it would conduct live-fire drills in seven areas north of the Koreas’ disputed maritime boundary. North Korea routinely test-fires artillery and missiles into the ocean but rarely discloses those plans in advance. The announcement was seen as an expression of Pyongyang’s frustration at making little progress in its recent push to win outside aid.

North Korea fired 500 rounds of artillery shells over more than three hours, about 100 of which fell south of the sea boundary, South Korean Defense Ministry spokesman Kim Min-seok said. South Korea responded by firing 300 shells into North Korean waters, he said. nydailynews.com


Live Chat

Join the Live Chat