Tag: Court

ISIS bombing in the predominantly pro MB city of Misrata

A major attack on the court buildings in Misrata this morning is reported to have killed four people and seriously injured 15. At least a further 25 are said to have been wounded in what appears to have been a coordinated assault for which the so-called Islamic State (IS) has claimed responsibility.

The court was in session when it was attacked around 11.30 am by three men who started shooting.It was initially suggested that the assault may have been an attempt to free IS members who were on trial. However, the mayor of Misrata, Mohamed Eshtewi, has said that no IS trial was taking place.

According to a court employee, he and his colleagues were told that they were being attacked by IS and were given guns to defend themselves. The shootout lasted for over half an hour during which the judicial police and support units that arrived to help them managed to kill one of the attackers. One of the others then blew himself up on the second floor. Video footage shows the second floor windows being blown out.

The third terrorist then blew himself up on the ground floor. Reports of a car bomb outside the court were not true.

Defence ministry and formerly Bunyan Marsous spokesman Mohamed al-Ghasri has said that the attack targeted the head of the court, Assadik Badi, saying it was in revenge for statements he had made about IS.

The area around the complex was initially cordoned off amid fears of further attacks

Misrata Central Hospital put out an appeal to staff to come in and help deal with the wounded.

Misrata suffered a number of suicide bombings in 2015 and last year. But despite fears that IS cells would revert to to the tactic after their defeat by Misrata-led forces in Sirte, there have been no attacks – until now.

Condemnation of the attack, and condolences for those killed has been coming from all quarters in Libya, including from Khalifa Hafter.

Three of the dead have been named as police officers Mohamed Al-Naali, Abdussalam Abuali and Mohamed Jibril. libyaherald.com

Palestine: ICC opening way to Israel war crimes prosecution

Palestine is soon to have its day in court, after securing long-awaited membership at The Hague. Plagued by constant setbacks to a peace deal with Israel, the ICC newcomer wants to see Tel Aviv on the stand for alleged war crimes in Gaza.

The April 1 accession to the International Criminal Court is the most substantial step to date in Palestine’s international legal campaign to seek justice for Israel’s operation ‘Protective Edge’ last summer, in which thousands of civilians were killed.

Shortly before the summer assaults, Israel insisted that Hamas was firing rockets into its territory and answered with massive bombardment, complete with a ground phase that saw destruction on a scale not seen for decades. After 50 days, a ceasefire was agreed upon.

Speaking to RT, ICC spokesman Fadi El Abdallah said that Palestine now gets all the same rights as well as obligations that member countries have. He also added that the “ICC jurisdiction of Palestine has already started because Palestine had made a declaration accepting the jurisdiction of ICC with retroactive effect starting from 13 of June 2014. And based on this declaration the ICC prosecutor has already started a preliminary examination to decide whether or not the legal criteria are met to open investigation.” rt.com

Campaign to stop the forced circumcision of a 4-Year-Old

On November 6, 2014, a Florida court decided that a healthy four year old boy will undergo an unnecessary, risky surgery at the insistence of his father. The boy’s name is Chase and his mother is fighting a battle to save him.

According to court records, in December 2011, Heather Hironimus signed a parenting agreement which gave Chase’s father, Dennis Nebus, permission to have their (then) baby boy circumcised. Three years later, Chase is still intact, happy and healthy.

Heather Hironimus realized over the years that removing Chase’s foreskin was unnecessary, and as he became older the surgery, and anesthesia, were fraught with additional risks. She argues that the surgery is purely cosmetic and the parenting plan no longer pertains to a now older, and more aware, boy. Pediatric urologist Charles Flack told the judge that circumcision is not medically necessary.

Genital autonomy advocates believe Chase’s physical and mental health are at risk. He is aware of his body and does not want to have surgery on his genitals. Forcing a child to undergo cosmetic surgery is a violation of basic human rights and medical ethics. This is an unprecedented case worthy of international media attention. savingchase.org

Libya supreme court ‘invalidates’ elected parliament

The Supreme Court has issued an unexpected judgement in the dispute over the constitutionality of the House of Representatives. It has decided that proceedings of the General National Congress’ so-called February Committee, which created the GNC’s replacement, the House of Representatives, were unconstitutional. Therefore this summer’s election and the representatives chosen to form the new parliament, were invalid.

It had been expected that the court would be ruling on the technical issue of the hand-over of power. Libya Dawn opponents of the HoR have argued that because the newly-elected legislators did not come to Tripoli for a formal ceremony marking the official transfer of authority from the old parliament to the new, they had never formally assumed power. libyaherald.com

‘UK responsible for current insecurity in Libya’

SCC: Three presidential candidates approved in final list

Supreme Constitutional Court spokesperson Majid Khadra stressed on Saturday that the final list of presidential candidates included Maher Abdul-Hafiz Hajjar, Hassan Abdullah al-Nouri and Dr. Bashar Hafez al-Assad only.

At a press conference, Khadra said that announcing the final list of the approved presidential candidates is considered as a notification to the approved candidates to start their election campaign as of Sunday May 11th, 2014.

Khadra pointed out that the Supreme Constitutional Court studied the complaints submitted by Ahmad Ali Kasia, Ali Hassan al-Hassan, Bashir Mohammad al-Balah, Khaled Abdo al-Kridi, Samih Mikhail Mousa and Sami Ahmad Moalla, and the court concluded that their candidacy applications do not comply with the conditions stipulated by the law and the constitution.

After announcing the initial list of the approved presidential candidates, the court received six complaints by the aforementioned persons.

Candidates need to get written approvals from at least 35 MPs each, otherwise their applications would be dismissed.

Speaker of the People’s Assembly announced that Syrians living abroad can vote at the Syrian Embassies on May 28 and Syrians inside Syria can vote on June 3rd, 2014. sana.sy

Live Chat

Join the Live Chat